Automation testing has become an inseparable part of the modern application development environment. This is because we cannot ensure the proper quality of a modern web app without the inclusion of automation testing practices. Due to the complex structure of modern apps that ensures the integration and execution of multiple elements simultaneously, developers cannot verify the proper performance with complete manual test cases. During the initial years of test automation, Selenium was the only alternative for executing automation test cases on web applications. However, with the advancement of technology, various new options like Playwright and Cypress have arrived in the market. However, even today, after 10 years, Selenium maintains one of the top positions. In automation testing, the developers can execute multiple testing processes on modern applications.
With this article, we will mainly focus on initiating keyword-driven testing while using Selenium-based automation test cases. We will also shift our focus toward some of the best platforms and tools that can help developers to simplify the Selenium testing process. Let us begin our discussion about the basics of Selenium and how to execute automation testing.
Creating A Basic Idea of Automated Testing
It is easy to understand the basics of automation testing by simply looking at the name. This is because the name justifies this process of automatically initiating and executing the testing process without the need for any human tester. This is because the system will use a text file for verifying all the critical parameters involved in the automation testing process. For the basic information, the text file will have a combination of different datasets and parameters. The major rule of the datasets is to help the system act like a normal user interacting with the application. This interaction is useful to get a basic idea about how the web application will react to different forms of user inputs. The final result will help analyze whether the application can be released to the open world.
While working with test automation, the developers can make small and even massive changes in the text file to ensure the final results are customized according to their requirements. Moreover, the developers can also store and reuse certain sections of the test code in future app development projects. However, all these advantages cannot overshadow the immediate disadvantage that comes with almost every automation test bench. This is because to start with test automation initially, the developers must invest a lot of money. These investments cover the integration of different libraries, plugins, and dependencies essential for the smooth execution of automation testing. We would recommend the app developers consider their returns on investment and business perspectives before moving toward this transition.
Understanding the Core of Selenium
Currently, there are different types of applications available in the market, which include native apps, cross-platform apps, and even hybrid apps. So, app development companies must seriously consider this restriction as it can cripple their innovative capabilities. Selenium is an open-source tool which means that the developers can access all of its features without worrying about any license or payment process. Now let us take a detailed look at some of the major tools and their functions present in the Selenium test suite:
- Selenium Grid helps the developers to conduct the automation test cases in a parallel format. The parallel format is essential for running different test configurations on multiple elements simultaneously. It is a very useful feature when developers are working with complex applications.
- With the help of the Selenium-IDE, developers can easily create Selenium automation test cases. This is because while working with this tool, the testers must interact with the application like a normal user. Based on this interaction, the intelligent framework can continue to generate automation test cases. The developers can keep track of this process in real time.
- Selenium WebDriver is the most important component of the Selenium test suite that every developer must be aware of. This is because, with this tool, the developers can not only start the automation testing process but also allocate them to all the important target elements of the web application. Many experts often consider the Selenium driver a superior version of the previously present Selenium remote controller. The major reason is that, unlike the Selenium remote controller, the WebDriver can natively communicate with all the elements in a web application. It is a very important feature for improving the efficiency of the testing process.
Defining Keyword-Driven Testing
While executing keyword-driven testing, the developers must separate the test case design from the test execution process. In this process, the developers have to create the test cases based on a series of inputs that will be separated by certain keywords. These inputs will mainly comprise different types of user interactions like a mouse click, scrolling, and clicking on certain elements. The primary objective of executing keyword-driven testing is to ensure the application can handle different forms of user interactions and can be rolled to the production phase. Keyword-driven testing is one of the essential components of the modern application development process. This is because, with this testing process, the developers can verify the proper execution of progressive web apps.
Implementing Keyword driven testing with Selenium
- It is very easy for developers to execute keyword-driven testing with Selenium test cases. For this process, the developers simply have to follow the steps that are given below:
- The first step in keyword-driven testing is to identify all the elements and the interactions that the developers have to consider in this process.
- After this, the developers must record all the given interactions in an excel sheet. Developers must allocate specific keywords to all the test cases to simplify the tracking process.
- After this step, the developers must create a new package in the Selenium project and title it ‘excel data’. Now the developers have to place the excel sheet in this new package.
- The developers have to create a separate package for storing all the important data, like the file path and the target URL.
- The final step in this process is to write a code that will help the system to read all the data from the excel sheet. This is a very important process as it will allow the system to use the excel interactions for verifying the proper functioning of the web application. After completing all the steps discussed, the developers simply have to run the test cases and wait for the execution process to complete. Then, they can view the results.
Integration of Platforms and Tools in Test Automation
The developers can utilize various platforms and tools to simplify the test automation process. Various platforms help the developers integrate additional features to improve the efficiency of the automation test cases. For instance, with the help of cloud platforms, developers can eliminate the headache of having a physical device lab to ensure the stable performance of web apps. This is because, with these platforms, the developers can achieve similar test results while performing all the test cases over the Internet. We can improve our knowledge of cloud platforms by bringing in LambdaTest as an example:
To complete the basic introduction, we can say that LambdaTest is a modern platform that can help developers to ensure that their web applications undergo a smooth cross-browser testing process. Cross-browser testing is the modern standard of ensuring that you provide the best experience to the customers. This is because, with the help of cross-browser testing, the developers can provide smooth performance irrespective of the user’s shift in the browser version, device hardware, or operating system. This platform has various innovative features like parallel test execution for improving the efficiency of the testing process. Other than importing the test cases from Selenium, LambdaTest can also introduce automation test scripts from popular frameworks like Playwright and Cypress.
One of the most important facts is that while working with Selenium automation test files, the developers can run them on more than three thousand unique modern browsers. Moreover, integrating hundreds of real devices with the existing simulation devices helps the developers to improve the efficiency of the test cases massively.
Considering all the points discussed in this article, we can say the developers can execute keyword-driven testing practices on Selenium-based automation testing. This article mainly focuses on some simple steps that can help developers in this process. We would also like to spread general awareness regarding the developers keeping themselves updated with all the recent innovations in the segment of automation testing. This knowledge will help them to maintain their company’s position in this competitive part of the market. In this segment, the app companies also have critical roles in organizing seminars and awareness campaigns for spreading the required knowledge. Lastly, it is very important to choose the correct tool to complement the testing practices of the developers.